cheers! . melbourne family photography

cheers800

kate has started a week of exposing the real life behind her blog posts.  i told her i would join her for at least one evening.  so here it is, my perfectly imperfect life…tonight.

after the disaster of trying to gate up an open plan home, i returned the lovely innocuous beige gates to the store and called the delightful mum from gemma’s school who offered to sell us her ginormous playpen at a deep discount.  her twins are a year older than mine, and with a boy the same age as gemma, she just knows…  even dropped it off at my front door right after school.  THANK YOU LISA!

set up in under five minutes, the twins were good to go.  well, actually, they were good to not go anywhere.  that was the point.  there is enough room in there for all their beloved plastic playthings.  unfortunately, i have never seen so much primary color or artificial materials in one place.

i could not believe it, but i was not only permitted to go to the potty unattached, but i was able to complete another one of the kid couture costume shots without worrying where the twins were.  gemma and i toasted the whole darn thing.  it may not be pretty and it may not be PC, they have been free range babies for so long, but it is ours.

real life behind the posts is sometimes messy, often does not match the decor and for the most part, smells like dirty diapers and the cat’s litter box.

cheers!

• Sky - Of course, everyone needs to go to the loo with nothing clinging onto you. lolAugust 17, 2009 – 4:42 amReplyCancel

• Carrie Hasson - i love it! gives me hope to post on my blog again lol…life and/or blogs aren’t always perfect! cheers 🙂August 17, 2009 – 4:44 amReplyCancel

• katepickle - Oh yay for a kiddy prison and the well deserved break and space it gives you all!!!!!August 17, 2009 – 5:01 amReplyCancel

• jen - congratulations on unsupervised potty visits!
    lovely real life photo …August 17, 2009 – 5:12 amReplyCancel

• Lawrence - So…which bottle did you open this evening? A nice shiraz? Or are you more of a Merlot type person? I prefer Cabs…August 17, 2009 – 5:42 amReplyCancel

• My Perfectly Imperfect Life - Day 2 | picklebums.com - […] These guys are also joining in… My Little Drummer Boys Sesame Ellis […]August 17, 2009 – 6:14 amReplyCancel

• trish - cheers from one twin mum to another.

Good reason to celebrate.

We got a 3.6 metre long Roger armstrong extendable Barrier – with a gate. It was beaut till they figured how to escape cost $170 but worth every cent to curbing the twinsanity. It went right across our open plan family room too.

My boys are now 3yrs and *sigh* can escape and climb everywhere, they know which key opens what door, can get into the 4wd since 2 by climbing on the running board & swinging on the door handle after they press the remote locking.

We have a safe for the keys now.August 17, 2009 – 6:31 amReplyCancel

• Sarah - Are they safe? Are their needs being met? Then there is no problem. :^)August 17, 2009 – 7:04 amReplyCancel

• SquiggleMum - I love how real this pic is. Thanks so much for sharing honestly about family life – primary coloured plastic and all!August 17, 2009 – 7:31 amReplyCancel

• Christie - Wow, you got to pee by yourself. I am soooo jealous.August 17, 2009 – 7:45 amReplyCancel

• Jen - Cheers to you! Love it!August 17, 2009 – 8:04 amReplyCancel

• Nin - Cheers! And congrats, it looks marvellous 🙂August 17, 2009 – 10:09 amReplyCancel

• Kate - Shoot, they’re going to have plenty of time to be free-range when they get older (and have developed enough rational thinking to say ‘no, that will cause me grievous bodily harm. I will abstain from doing that’), and right now I’m sure they won’t sustain any trauma that they’ll remember to tell a therapist when they’ve grown. A sane mother who doesn’t have to worry about tripping over tiny feet while running off to the loo is much more important right now than free reign of the house if you ask me! High five!
    -Kate (nanny of a three year old and one year old twins for my last semester in college)August 17, 2009 – 10:48 amReplyCancel

• Holly - Ugh, the plastic. I try to hide as much of it as possible. If only the babies would play with the aesthetically pleasing stuff. I’ve taken to chucking things behind the couch and hoping they just forget it existed. 🙂
    I have a free range baby right now, but come that first birthday, she’ll be caged for sure!August 17, 2009 – 11:35 amReplyCancel

• Harika75 - Ok, you seriously lucked out. If they’re not complaining, then you’re lucky. Ella yelled and screamed in her huge playpen we got her and of course, I crumbled and took her everywhere I went in the house. I’m now paying dearly for that as she thinks it’s her right to watch me poop & pee 🙂 All the best and YaY for the vino 🙂August 17, 2009 – 11:49 amReplyCancel

• Yhudis - I love that the playpen was made by my father 🙂August 18, 2009 – 3:16 amReplyCancel

• Kylie - AHA – what a good idea! Those gate things are ridiculously finnicky!!! Free-range kids huh – you wanna swap ’em for my free range chooks….August 18, 2009 – 9:59 pmReplyCancel