these are the photos that i take photos for

shhhh.  no one say anything.  maybe alec will not notice that he is in these photos.  then again, he will probably notice when i have them printed and framed.

but moments like that are the reason i photograph daily life.
getting simple and joyful shots like that first one are why peta and i started beyond snapshots.  there are tips, interviews and giveaways on the blog to make learning how to use your camera fun.  we will be announcing  news and the details of our next online course and our workshops there soon.  this is something that we have been working on for so long and are excited for every aspect!

can’t forget these taken while talking airplanes with kieran.

we had a follow up visit with the twins’ doctor today.  kieran has made such amazing progress through his issues with hypotonia.  he is proving “them” all wrong by walking just before the official deadline for normal range and is even showing off with the “squat to stand” move.  so proud of him, he is working extra hard.  he will still have some lingering effects (i had no idea that his adorable droopy puppy face cheeks, swoopy features and always present tongue are all signs of low muscle tone), but he has shown that a little challenge is nothing he can’t handle in his own time.

• Merry Herrera - Amazing pics!… that kind of images I would´ve loved to have with my own father… at least my kids will have theirs, but who´s gonna take pictures of me and my girls?? anyway, love what you and Peta are doing cause you´re making me love my camera again and not to be afraid of the results cause they´re simply great and now even more with your tips… thanks a lot! January 19, 2010 – 11:35 amReplyCancel

• @thebadhousewife - Gosh, I love that kid.

You know, I hate "milestones." My daughter walked at 17 months and 30 days, she talked at two and a half, and you you know what? In the end, at eight, she's perfect. All in our own time, and the world would be a more pleasant place. January 19, 2010 – 12:12 pmReplyCancel

• Tweets that mention these are the photos that i take photos for | sesame ellis . daily life photo blogging by rachel devine -- Topsy.com - […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rachel Devine , Photo Addicts. Photo Addicts said: #photography these are the photos that i take photos for – shhhh.  no one say anything.  maybe alec will not notice… http://ow.ly/16n2G4 […]January 19, 2010 – 7:27 amReplyCancel

• Asmara - Wow! Love the 1st pic the most. January 19, 2010 – 12:35 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - He'll be FINE. Even if the hypotonia and motor delay continues, it's not a huge deal – S has both and, well – you've heard the stories and seen the pictures. January 19, 2010 – 12:46 pmReplyCancel

• torrie - I ,love, love, love these pictures. January 19, 2010 – 12:59 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - I love the photos with Alec. It really makes me smile how little kids seem to understand cameras and camcorders and love to see themselves on the screen. January 19, 2010 – 1:48 pmReplyCancel

• Ginger - I love that picture of Kieran! My kids have great moments like that, but I don't have a camera or lighting (good enough) or a flash strong enough to capture them before they run off. Is there an inexpensive camera that you could recommend that would have a fast enough "digital" shutter speed? January 19, 2010 – 2:14 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - Go Kieran Go!

When I was growing up – my best friend from the age of 4 until we were about 16,17 – had a form of hypotonia. Doctors told her parents that she would be so far behind kids her age that she would have to go to a special school because she would find it hard to mix with kids who had developed much quicker than she had. Of course, like Kieran, she was walking before the official cut off and that was the bgeinning of her starting to defy expectations. There were a few little things that muscle development had an effect on but they were minor in the grand scheme of things. She was already the smartest and prettiest girl in the class, but even with hypotonia she managed to be the star hockey player and netball player in the school.

I bet Kieran continues to excell and work hard. He'll e a lot stronger because of it.

Love these photos a lot. Totally love 'em!
    January 19, 2010 – 2:23 pmReplyCancel

• sesameellis - it is interesting how much of it is out there and of course, i had never heard of it before kieran was diagnosed. January 19, 2010 – 8:35 pmReplyCancel

• Charlotte - He is beautiful. I've been worrying about Liam lately who at 8 months (almost) still doesn't seem to want to crawl. He can do a circle but pretty much just lays there. He refuses to bend his knees. And the tongue.. I think it's just he has a fascination with it but it's always, 99% of the time hanging out his mouth. Or lately he's been biting it and turning it purple.. good thing he has no teeth yet.

I'm done rambling.. that first photo made me smile big 🙂 January 19, 2010 – 3:40 pmReplyCancel

• victoria67 - oh my!!! what sweet and beautiful pictures of alec with kieran and then with kieran and clover!!!! just priceless!
    so happy to hear kieran is proving everyone wrong and succedding even further!! hooray! January 19, 2010 – 4:06 pmReplyCancel

• Kim Chance - Oh those are so special especially that first one! Big canvas for sure. K is growing up and becoming such a big boy! Love these R 🙂 January 19, 2010 – 4:06 pmReplyCancel

• Tanya - i adore these images. they are the ones that you cherish forever. January 19, 2010 – 4:09 pmReplyCancel

• Anastasija - Kieran is a little trooper and i am so proud for him, too! i love the last photo of him!!! January 19, 2010 – 11:49 amReplyCancel

• Jill C. - Make me think my dad…. these are wonderful moments you captured. Just pure beautiful… January 19, 2010 – 4:59 pmReplyCancel

• Sevinje. - So precious moments:-)
    Your photos are the most alive I've ever seen! January 19, 2010 – 1:06 pmReplyCancel

• julia - those are the sweetest pictures. January 19, 2010 – 6:40 pmReplyCancel

• Sophie - My favourite pictures by you. So sweet LOVE the first one January 19, 2010 – 7:40 pmReplyCancel

• angela(jhscrapmom) - i read about your experience with kieran and i fervently wish i had had the insight with my boy ( now 14 years old ) that you have been given with your boy. he has a different issue, but shares some similarities to K's hypotonia. i think he is just going to continue to astound you as you are armed with the information you need and the tools to use it:0. all that said, while my kiddo still struggles with sports, the rest of his life is awesome and as normal as can be ( and we only got answers at the age of 8 for him) for any teenage boy. girls and texting and xbox,lol – what else do you need;). and while i capture the everyday moments with my little guy, you have reminded me today to go capture some of my #1's teen days:). January 19, 2010 – 3:17 pmReplyCancel

• Katie Noble - totally adorable. January 19, 2010 – 8:17 pmReplyCancel

• Pauline - Yay Go Kieran!!!
    Awesome snapshots 🙂 January 19, 2010 – 9:41 pmReplyCancel

• Emily - These are gorgeous! I would love to know the camera settings for these (especially the top three.) Is that your yard? It's beautiful! January 19, 2010 – 10:37 pmReplyCancel

• Lauren - Little Man looks great – and doing so well. Atta boy Kieran. Good luck Angela also with your son – just capture all the moments you can because every moment is precious – just like Rachel shows. Thanks Rachel – you just reminded me why I am dedicated to photography.January 19, 2010 – 7:08 pmReplyCancel

• Karen Linnell - oh my, these are so precious January 20, 2010 – 1:19 amReplyCancel

• DawnK - Cute pictures! My first daughter didn't crawl until she was a year old and walked a month-and-a-half later. My second daughter crawled at 10 months and walked at 13 months. My girlfiriend's daughter didn't walk until she was 16 months. She didn't need to walk. She had "staff." (her mom and her 2 older sisters!) She grew up to do gymnastics! They all do things in their own time.

I love all these pictures and I especially love the pic of Alec and Kieran watching the video that dad just shot. January 20, 2010 – 3:50 amReplyCancel

• Katie - That last photo of Kieran is adorable! January 20, 2010 – 3:51 amReplyCancel

• April - OMG He's so cute Kieran looks like he's doing the maracrana in the last photo there. January 20, 2010 – 12:54 amReplyCancel

• Secret Mom Thoughts - Those are fabulous photos. January 20, 2010 – 5:38 pmReplyCancel

• Amanda Hoffman - These are so great! Kieran is so sweet. I love his expressions. January 21, 2010 – 6:07 amReplyCancel

• an-gee-la - those photos with alec? no words.
    he should really let down his guard more often.
    love 'em. January 21, 2010 – 9:59 pmReplyCancel

• Gabby - I love these photos. especially the one of your husband, and the twins with them looking back, adorable! January 22, 2010 – 4:34 amReplyCancel

• Harika75 - Gosh I LOVE the fact that I can almost hear that shriek of excitement in K's first pik. Then the analytical look on his face when looking at his own pik… priceless 🙂 Love the piks, love your work. Thanks for being my favo cyberstop 🙂 January 22, 2010 – 5:26 amReplyCancel

• Puna - This lovely truly lovely. Thank you for sharing it! I'm here from Damien Franco's Your Photo Tips. January 23, 2010 – 12:16 amReplyCancel

• Nikki_Dunlop - your kids are teh cutest kids in the world. Someone told me to look up your little girl Gemma and i found pictures of them all. They are the cutest! January 28, 2010 – 2:51 amReplyCancel