It only took four years

by sesame on June 10, 2012

But we finally cleaned out the garage. The shelves are going in this evening and by the morning we will have organization where chaos (and deadly spiders) once reigned. I opened boxes and unwrapped things that had not been touched since they were packed up in Los Angeles nearly four and a half years ago. Many things stayed, but a lot went to the thrift store. I had too many books. I kept a fair few, but most will find new homes. Big items that the kids have grown out of are going up on the local sales site.

While I had done a bit of sorting here and there over the years, this was really the first time I had made a promise to be practical and make a break with some physical stuff. I am a sentimental girl by nature so it is hard for me to let go. I am certain that is why it had taken so long to really tuck into this chore. It was time. I was ready.

I still have years and years and years of client negatives in weather proof tubs. I also found boxes of archival prints going way back. So much stuff. I still need to empty out the guest room closet. The garage, that closet and a small, utility hallway by the laundry room are the three spots that things I could not deal with went to hide. With the major hurdle jumped and lots of deadlines for work stuff, I will turn my unrivaled ability to procrastinate into some useful tasks. I am talking about you, guest room closet.

The kids helped by only fighting 1/4 of their normal Sunday amount.

The best part is that the garage gets gorgeous light pretty much all day. Now I can set up my backdrop in there without having to shift piles of stuff around and take advantage of it as a semi-studio. Perfect reward.

Lisa Hoang via Facebook June 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm

That is gorgeous light! Productive procrastination is the best. I get so much done around tax time.

melbo June 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I like her work clothes. Seriously, leaves my trackie dacks in the dust.

Bravo on the cleanout!

Ashley June 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Congrats on the cleanout! I’m a sentimental soul too so I know how hard it is to part with things.

Jodie Hanna via Facebook June 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

yay productive procrastination! im tackling (what should be) our hallway! gorg light in the garage, what a fab payoff!

Rachael Thomas June 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I recently did the same and have screwed hooks into the ceiling to take backdrops. The light is great. Having a home studio is fab!

Jennifer June 10, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I’m always torn between keeping and chucking. I do love space and a lack of clutter, but so many things have sentimental value or may come in handy one day…it’s a constant internal battle.

The light helped with some beautiful images from the day, though. :)

se7en June 11, 2012 at 12:04 am

Hay Great Minds and all that!!! We just did our garage too and yes to took about 4.5 years from the idea… to the actual: “it really has to be done now…” so we did it last month ( http://www.se7en.org.za/2012/06/04/se7ens-fabulous-friday-fun-123-and-the-great-garage-clean-up ) and oh it is wonderful… sometimes I just go downstairs to open it and look at it!!! We’ll done you guys – I know what an achievement that is!!!