Arrival. Hawaii through my family lens.

by sesame on June 16, 2014

myfamilylens-arrival-sesameellis-olympus-o-md-e-m10 A rainbow in the distance welcomed Saturday for us again. The sun was rising as we were landing and after that plane ride we were ready to get to Hawaii! Our arrival was as sweet as the warm air smelled…all flowers, sun and salt water. Aloha.

myfamilylens-arrival-sesameellis-olympus-o-md-e-m10

Landing so early meant the hotel room was not ready for us, so we parked our bags and found a Starbucks. Nothing says Welcome to America like a Grande Caramel Macchiato for me! Then a parade found us. Jet lag was not far behind. It caught up with us like an exhausted bad guy, huffing and puffing and smacking us all in the head.  Let me tell you, jet lag makes an unfamiliar parade a really wacky experience!

myfamilylens-arrival-sesameellis-olympus-o-md-e-m10

Or maybe it is just a really wacky parade? I mean, except for the Hawaiian cheerleading team early on the only high school marching bands were from Missouri.  Pretty sure the guy riding under the lycra American flag, just turned the corner and joined some low riders… And then there were cars full of ladies in black with black umbrellas who drove by silently. The entire parade would stop for red lights which meant we all had to take a break every few moments. Nothing kills the momentum of a parade like the awkward silence as we all just sit there staring at each other. You can only say Aloha so many times before it becomes forced.

Also, don’t try to win mother of the year, I already have seen her. Her name is Debbie.

myfamilylens-arrival-sesameellis-olympus-o-md-e-m10

After the last Hawaiian princess rode on her way, we implored the hotel to find us a clean room so we could rest. To complete our welcome on arrival, we busted open a few boxes of American favourites.

myfamilylens-arrival-sesameellis-olympus-o-md-e-m10

The day and trip continue in posts to come!

I have captured the whole experience of our arrival on the Olympus OM-D E-M10 that I am testing for the next 3 months. It is a great camera and so far my favourite part has to be how easy it is to change the exposure value on the fly. Just adjust via a dial right next to the shutter button, unlike all other cameras I have ever had where you had to go through a menu or use a series of buttons, this is so fluid and makes fine tuning exposure so easy while shooting in aperture priority*. I have been shooting everything in RAW and jpeg and editing in Lightroom. There are art filters in the camera, but I have not tried them yet. The images coming straight out of the camera are pretty perfect, so I have not done much in the RAW conversion of these. I am pretty impressed with everything about this camera. My little Fuji friend should be worried.

*What? I’m on holiday!

Kelly Steinberg via Facebook June 16, 2014 at 11:09 am

I love the parade! Debbie!

Chris Leung via Facebook June 16, 2014 at 11:12 am

You guys landed in time for the King Kamehameha Day parade, in honor of King Kamehameha: Kamehameha Day on June 11 is a public holiday of the state of Hawaii in the United States. It honors Kamehameha the Great, the monarch who first established the unified Kingdom of Hawaiʻi — comprising the Hawaiian Islands of Niʻihau, Kauaʻi, Oʻahu, Molokaʻi, Lānaʻi, Kahoʻolawe, Maui and Hawaiʻi. While he was king, Hawaii was a center of the fur and sandalwood trade. Pineapples were brought to Hawaii from Spain in 1813 and coffee was first planted in 1818, a year before he died.

Christina June 16, 2014 at 11:13 am

How many lenses did you bring with the Olympus/how many are you actively using? I am enjoying reading your blog about your Hawaiian adventure!

Rachel Devine Photography / sesame ellis via Facebook June 16, 2014 at 11:17 am

Thank you for the history of what we saw Chris Leung! We really had no idea what we had stumbled upon in our jet lagged haze!

rachel June 16, 2014 at 11:39 am

Gorgeous :-) Love real life through your eyes. Have a wonderful time in Hawaii! Rainbow goldfish and Mini Wheats are huge favorites in our house, too :-)

Jennifer Barber June 16, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I can’t tell you how much this is basically a rewind to two weeks ago — including the Starbucks, Goldfish, rainbow and imploring for an early check in (of course we didn’t get a parade). I hope you have as good a holiday as we did. And the good news was that first night my kids slept 14 hours!!! I had to keep checking on them. And there was no jet lag at all after that. So I will hope that for you.

Irina Usova Lewis via Facebook June 16, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Yes!!! It was King Kamehameha Day parade!!! We loved watching them when living in the Rainbow State! My girls (and let’s be honest, I myself as well!) have always been impressed by the sight of real princesses just riding their horses a mere few feet away!!
    Hope your jet lag is soon over and you all can enjoy your stay, Rachel! Are you staying somewhere right on Waikiki? There’s a beach there by the Rainbow hotel, it’s very nice for going with kids and a good place to watch fireworks in the evening!

Valentina June 17, 2014 at 12:14 am