growing up on their own terms means not kicking the habit just yet

i have heard it all.  from various people.  however differently they said it, they all meant the same thing… the twins are too old for bottles.

thank you to the many strangers who have preached to offered me advice, i think it is wonderful that your child was drinking from a regular cup in utero.

i went out and bought various drink containers.  we have the straw, the sippy, the sigg.  all hold and dispense water just fine, but put milk in them and it is another story to these guys.

you just try to take those bottles away from them.

in my opinion, there are plenty of other things to obsess over as a parent, but i am taking the “i’ll parent mine, you parent yours” stance.

i highly doubt that they will be 22 and still starting the morning with a nice cold evenflo.  in a blink of an eye, they will be having coffee with me.

so go on…call them babies. they are babies.

• shawnie - hear hear!
    i distinctly remember my mother trying to pry my bottle (and dummy) off me when i was 3 (and maybe 4)

let the babies be babies! and what beautiful babies they are as well. January 24, 2010 – 11:12 pmReplyCancel

• melissa - my baby cousin is 2 and a half and still use bottles just like his baby sister that's 1 year old 🙂
    I used bottle a lot of years too!
    don't listen to people
    the twins will leave it without help one day like I did
    or you'll know the good time to make them do it 🙂 January 24, 2010 – 11:15 pmReplyCancel

• Mrs. Fun - This is what I said about breastfeeding past a year. Youngest is going to kindergarten this year and he won't have my boob in his mouth. nothing wrong with keeping them babies as long as you can. soon they'll be teens….eek! January 24, 2010 – 11:15 pmReplyCancel

• tiff - Absolutely. Let them be babies. Ivy and Noah still enjoyed a bottle this time last year (and they were 3) I was the worst mother in the world to some but the best to two little people who matter the most in my world. January 24, 2010 – 11:18 pmReplyCancel

• sesameellis - oh yes, the terrible mother comments. geez. some people. January 24, 2010 – 11:19 pmReplyCancel

• Ceci - my son is almost 3, he still uses his bottle as most of his daycare fellas do. He drinks milk, yoghurt ,water and juice in his Avent. He can also drink from a champagne glass and even drinks directly from a 2lt . He prefers the bottle? I give it to him!
    Why should your babies stop using it? I don`t see the problem…
    You are an amazing mom. People need to find something to bring you down, just because they are jealous. January 24, 2010 – 11:24 pmReplyCancel

• Hannah - I’m not a mother yet, but I’ve been babysitting kids for ages, and I believe every mother does it’s job how she feels like, and I think is not nice when people think they know what is best for kids that are not theirs….
    and I completely understand your point of view, I’ve seen myself how a baby of that age, find their milk comforting, so if they rather drink their milk in bottle, so what!? for what I read you are doing a great job!
    they are still babies anyway!January 24, 2010 – 6:45 pmReplyCancel

• Zoé - oh come on, sure, 5 is too old for a bottle. they aren't even two yet.
    my sister drank from a bottle until she was six. January 24, 2010 – 11:45 pmReplyCancel

• Jules - Right on, Rach! January 24, 2010 – 11:50 pmReplyCancel

• victoria67 - good for you! they are too darling when they use them 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 12:10 amReplyCancel

• christine.s - amen sista, i have a 15 month old and that is all i hear too- could be worse i suppose January 25, 2010 – 12:10 amReplyCancel

• dale taylor - Hey Babies! This is Lucas, a self confessed bottle lover. I can drink from a sippy cup, a straw, even a real cup with a few spills. But i WANT MY BOTTLE for my milk, and mummy says that's cool. Lets get together for a 'bottle lovers unite' milk time soon! It'll rock.
    Love Lucas xxoo January 25, 2010 – 12:16 amReplyCancel

• jen wright - Right on, Rach!! I am 100% with you. People should keep their opinions to themselves. gavin still has a bottle at night and he will be 2 in April. I doubt any of them will be scarred for life. They are babies for SUCH a short time!! Why does everyone rush them to grow up? I am glad you aren't 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 12:18 amReplyCancel

• Isabella - If its anything, my aunt still had a bottle at 7. It was her comfort so what does it matter! They are your children and its your choice! January 25, 2010 – 12:27 amReplyCancel

• Lidie - I drank milk every morning from a bottle until I was 9 years old! January 25, 2010 – 12:34 amReplyCancel

• ali bloom - I had a bottle into the toddler years & I think I turned out just fine! (and I can drink from a regular cup just fine) 😉 My daughter is almost 3 & still has her bottle before bed.. and she can drink from a regular cup, too. I say let them be babies. 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 12:34 amReplyCancel

• kris allbright - my 2 yr old still takes a bottle…My 17 yr old took a bottle until he was 3. I am happy to report he is a healthy, intelligent, manly guy and he does NOT take a bobba anymore..He is even getting ready for college, and he won't be taking his bobba or binky with him.. I say let it be and worry about the big stuff, like getting them out of diapers by the time they are 10.
    🙂 January 25, 2010 – 12:44 amReplyCancel

• Elle M - How ridiculous are some people? Really, what does it matter if they prefer to drink it out of a bottle rather than a cup…the end result is still the same surely. Im not a mother myself yet…though i regularly have my niece and nephew. They both drink out of sippy cups in the day but have milk in bottles at night…Lola will b 3 in april & charl is 18months. January 25, 2010 – 12:45 amReplyCancel

• .venny. - I know zero to nothing about parenting, but i have a lot of little cousins and i've been babysitting them since i was 12. (i've had quite the babysitter experience). i think it's good that parents are proud of their own babies… but they shouldn't gloat about it and make other babies feel bad. babies have their own learning curve… let them do what they will at their own pace /pif.

heck, i liked drinking out of the bottle when i was 6 and possibly older but i don't remember my childhood very well… sure cups are big kid stuff, but bottles are more fun to drink from ^^ i say savour the moments of drinking milk out of the bottle : D and bottles sure makes for good photos. January 25, 2010 – 12:58 amReplyCancel

• Jordan - Wow,how old are the they?, they are way to young for people to say they need to give up bottles. I mean, I stopped when I was 4 and my nephews are going to be 4 this year and still drink from bottles.January 24, 2010 – 8:16 pmReplyCancel

• Karen - agree with you 100% ,they are babies. i love the bottles. people totally over rate the need to get them off. January 25, 2010 – 1:19 amReplyCancel

• peta - I am all for keeping those babies on their bottles as long as they will take em 😉 this 1.5 years has gone by entirely too quickly. January 25, 2010 – 1:34 amReplyCancel

• juliet - too right. my nephew still has his morning milo in a bottle (at 4). what's the problem? 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 1:43 amReplyCancel

• Mandy - lol @drinking from a cup since in utero. :]

why is everyone all about taking things away from babies? i'm all for giving them what makes them feel comfortable and safe. people get so up in arms about binkies and bottles and blankies. we took them out of their warm cozy homes (our ute's), don't they deserve some damn comfort items? sheesh. January 25, 2010 – 1:57 amReplyCancel

• Tricia - My husband wanted to preserve our son in a pickle jar if he could to try to get him from growing up too fast. So we'll encourage anything that'll keep our son a baby for as long as possible. Just go with your heart, a parent always knows what's best for their children. =) January 25, 2010 – 2:00 amReplyCancel

• Tanya - Oh Rachel, I hear it too often myself. My daughter could drink from any sippy cup by 1 but milk she refused. When we were pushed by dentist/doctor/daycare to have her drink milk from sippy cup, we gave it a try. We refused to give her the bottle but offered milk in a sippy cup. she cried so much but for days would not touch it. I regret so much for doing this to her. She loves her milk in the bottle, it was comfort to her. Well now, she will be 5 very soon and she will drink milk from any cup but she absolutely loves to drink it from a Nuby cup that has a nipple on it. It calms her down, relaxes her and sends her to her own little world for that 5 minutes that she is drinking it. No harm done. January 25, 2010 – 2:01 amReplyCancel

• Melissa - I couldn't have said it better my self! (Cheers! ala Clover & Kieran x 437) xo January 25, 2010 – 2:32 amReplyCancel

• Pauline - Go you!!!

January 25, 2010 – 2:42 amReplyCancel

• Brenda - Heck yes….Mr. G still wants his “baba” He’s the same, he’ll drink juice out of a sippy, water out of a sippy but when it comes to his milk, it HAS to be in a bottle. And when he gets it, he actually will sit for a good 10 minutes in peace to drink it so if that buys me 10 minutes of peace, I’m going to keep doing it. Good for you Rachel for posting this!January 24, 2010 – 9:46 pmReplyCancel

• Kate - My Child Life professer put it perfectly: No one goes to college in diapers, no one goes to college with a pacifier. It will all happen when it's right for the child.
    From what I understand, people feel entitled to tell others how to raise their children and sadly I don't think there's much you can do about it. Except, of course, be satisfied in the knowledge that you have three of the cutest kids in the entire world who are developing healthily at their own pace and will not be rushed into anything by parents who are concerned that they keep a certain arbitrary timeline. Kudos! January 25, 2010 – 3:06 amReplyCancel

• Melanie - Each parent has to do what feels right for them, good for you for taking a stance. You know your babies best and you know what is best for them.

Love the photos as alwaysJanuary 24, 2010 – 10:56 pmReplyCancel

• Marie Green - Why do we force our babes to grow up so fast? (And why are people so proud of forcing them to grow up so fast?)

You are right- they ARE still babies. And they still have the needs of a baby- and sucking for food and comfort is one of those needs.

So, way to go! January 25, 2010 – 4:08 amReplyCancel

• Melissa - Good for you!!!
    I must say that I check out your blog on a regular basis and think your work is absolutely gorgeous! 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 5:16 amReplyCancel

• @CincinnatiGal - Some people! Those babies will grow up fast enough as it is. No need to rush it. And they'll transition when they want to 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 1:27 amReplyCancel

• Phoebe - I think it's completely fine to be using bottles, they're not even two are they. I used baby bottles until I finished first grade. I only stopped when I entered 2nd grade, though I was potty-trained when I was 3. 🙂 January 25, 2010 – 7:17 amReplyCancel

• Shirley - My two (both adults now) had bottles until they were ready to part with them. My son was 5 years old, my daughter 2 and they would drink from sippy cups, straws etc very well but milk had to be from the bottle. I say let them part with their bottles when ready and when you are ready to help them. There are too many people out there trying to tell others what to do. I am a grandma now and my 15 month old granddaughter will drink from all types of cups etc. but prefers her milk from the bottle and my daughter isd happy to let her do so. Good for you making this post!January 25, 2010 – 2:39 amReplyCancel

• Astrid - You go girl….good for Kieran and Clover that they get to drink their milk the way they want to. At least they are drinking it and that is the main thing. January 25, 2010 – 8:22 amReplyCancel

• frederique - 1.5 year…Too old for babies????? My twins still had bottles at that age and yes in the blink of an eye, they'll all be grown up…
    Plus, they look cute with their bottle!!! January 25, 2010 – 8:23 amReplyCancel

• sam - i had all the same thoughts as you , my (now) 4yr old, had one vice……. his bottle………. it was his and his alone everynight before bed until he was 2 and a half , almost 3, ……… i went through times of trying to persuade/distract/be mean and take it off him………. and then i had clarity, where i thought, WHY ??? he soon stopped it when his baby sister was born……… because it became clear to him that he was the big boy, and he liked to feed HER the bottle…….. we didnt make him, he did it by himself …….. and yes, everyone had an opinion too !!! it most certainly doesnt disadvantage them in anyway !!!! he is one of the brightest 4 yr olds at his preschool ! ( mother bragging !! hehe) so let them have their little comforts, if it makes their world a happy one, why would we want to take that away !!!!!
    love your work btw !! and your blog with peta rocks !!!!! January 25, 2010 – 9:13 amReplyCancel

• Sharlene - But, they aren’t even 2 yet! I didn’t realise that was too old! It’s completely a cultural thing. In Asia its perfectly normal for babies to still be taking a bottle at 3! I think parents there are just happy for their babies to be drinking milk. People are in such a hurry for kids to grow up nowadays!January 25, 2010 – 4:14 amReplyCancel

• cecilia - I don't agree with people saying that they are too big for bottles, i love the fact that they are having bottles, and they're not even two, how can that be too big?

I have a cousin who drank gruel in a bottle every night till she was 7 simply because it gave her comfort! January 25, 2010 – 9:31 amReplyCancel

• *rowe* - omgoodness… they are so tiny! i think if it makes them happy, what harm could it possibly do?

audrey had a bottle for the longest time… i think she was 2.5 when i did get rid of it. i planned to take it away at 1 yr but i just couldnt bring myself to when it bought her so much joy and made her feel so content. i was told it would be bad for her teeth and all sorts of other things but she is 6 now and the dentist said her teeth are perfect and she is well adjusted and healthy!

dont listen – just do what feels right for you! rowe x January 25, 2010 – 9:44 amReplyCancel

• Ann (Maddie's Mom) - AMEN. January 25, 2010 – 10:08 amReplyCancel

• Tweets that mention growing up on their own terms means not kicking the habit just yet | sesame ellis . daily life photo blogging by rachel devine -- Topsy.com - […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rachel Devine and John Castillo, Photo Addicts. Photo Addicts said: #photography growing up on their own terms means not kicking the habit just yet http://ow.ly/16pzhs […]January 25, 2010 – 7:02 amReplyCancel

• Rebecca - Ahhhh … I'm going through the exact same thing with my little guy. I weaned my others at 12 months with no problems but he will NOT take milk in a sippy. So, we're going to hang on to the "baba" a little bit longer. To each his own! January 25, 2010 – 12:36 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - WORD.

My brother was a ridiculous age when he came off the bottle (I'm talking pre-school) and he is fine. Big frickin' deal if they are enjoying their bottles – they are still so little. The Mommy Brigade need to cool it. January 25, 2010 – 2:18 pmReplyCancel

• Melissa - I wouldn't worry about it. I had a long love affair with my bottle. I finally kicked the habit when I was about to go to school, I had just turned 5. My parents were patient with me, and like you they knew I was not going to go to college with my bottle. They let me give it up when I was ready and guess what? I'm a well adjusted 29 year old, with spectacular teeth! The bottle really had no effect on my teeth, straight as can be, no braces ever! January 25, 2010 – 2:41 pmReplyCancel

• christine - oh, for goodness sake. Some People! Freya drank from a bottle till she was like… 3 or something… every night she would cuddle in my lap with a bottle of warm milk before bed and I loved it. loved loved loved the cuddly closeness. And now, she's 6 and a half and still has warm milk at bedtime… but now it's out of sippy cup. And will she give that thing up? noooo she won't! But I am fairly confident by the time she starts university it will all be just fine. And she will feel loved and accepted and cherished to boot!

I have loved every moment (well.. most!) of her life and I will not will not speed it along. So people can suck it up! January 25, 2010 – 4:06 pmReplyCancel

• Amanda Hoffman - My son Finn used one until he was 2. He still sucks his thumb at almost 3 and I am struggling to pull the bink from my 4 year old's mouth. Both things have drawn strong opinions from my husband's family. Everyone had an opinion when my daughter was almost 3 and still in her crib. The day she turned the (seriously ON her birthday) she hopped out of her crib for the very first time. We bought her a bed that night and she has slept through the night every night since. No struggle to keep her in bed hoping she doesn't get into things. She was ready and she picked her time. Maybe it was later than other children, but that wasn't really up to us.

We all do what we need to do to keep our children safe and ourselves sane at the same time. It's a lot harder than it looks from the outside. My kids are only a little over a year apart, it's still not the same as having twins. There are some things you just have to let go. It's not hurting them and it's keeping them happy and you sane. So what's the issue? January 25, 2010 – 5:51 pmReplyCancel

• anna - i think its awsome that you want to parent the way YOU think is best.
    you go girl!!! January 25, 2010 – 10:53 pmReplyCancel

• Mina - OMG. But they are babies. Who are these people that preach? And can they please go away?!
    My daughter was almost five when I sat with her and told her it was time the bottle went. She was not happy, and it took a few nights of her whining, "milk"!! but we got over it. It wasn't something I thought about, as she is sooo little and seems younger than her age.
    My eldest was 3 1/2 when her night time 'milky' went.

Now my youngest is 5 years and 4 months and she has forgotten about the glass baby bottles in the cupboard (which I have kept as I am sentimental)

The way I see it, when these kids turn 16, none of this will be remembered, nor will it matter.

Hugs to those precious babies….and you for a wonderful sense of humour! January 26, 2010 – 8:41 amReplyCancel

• Sarah - Ditto. My littlest will drink water out of anything, but when it's milk time, only a bottle will do. I know he can drink out of anything, but he gets comfort from milk out of a bottle and that's fine by me. We all do our best and like you say, I can guarentee he won't be 22 and drinking from that bottle 🙂 January 26, 2010 – 10:48 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - Oh, and one more thing…those photos are just gorgeous!!! January 26, 2010 – 10:49 pmReplyCancel

• LookWhatICanDo - Our son is 22 months old and still has a baba….SO WHAT!!!
    I say when he is done with it he will be done and that will be that.
    So I'm with you all the way 🙂 January 27, 2010 – 6:14 amReplyCancel

• Melissa Deakin - I couldn't agree more.
    I am still rocking my third baby (who just turned one) to sleep for naps and nighttime.
    In my opinion, I adore that he still wants to snuggle with me.
    And like you, I tell people that I highly doubt I still be rocking him to sleep when he is a senior in high school.
    Do what works for you and your family.
    You are such an inspiration! January 27, 2010 – 9:00 pmReplyCancel

• Virginia Peach - ABSOLUTELY!! People are already telling us similar things about pacifiers and co-sleeping. Just leave it to us thankyou, we're the parents, we know what works best in our family thankyou! January 28, 2010 – 10:22 amReplyCancel

• Princess Martha - Here here! My babies are all grown up now, and it happens way too fast. Let them be babies for as long as you can. Drinking from a bottle or sucking a dummy at 1, 2, 3 or whatever age isnt going to hurt them. I'm with you 🙂 January 29, 2010 – 8:02 amReplyCancel