1st day of real school

this year they mean business at school. she has to wear the hat, has spelling tests and she goes to the front office for a pass if she is late.

welcome to the real world kidโ€ฆthe fairy princess will always be waiting for you at home.

2 more from the morning:

• christine - oh, gemma! oh my! January 28, 2010 – 11:54 amReplyCancel

• Jenn - she is absolutely adorable!! the beginning of the rest of her wonderful life! how exciting! and im sure a tad nerve wracking! January 28, 2010 – 11:55 amReplyCancel

• @thebadhousewife - Oh, the hat! I've got both mine in "real" school now. The boy is six months ahead of Gemma. The girl, who is eight, is off to the races. But the boy comes home and still needs a serious cuddle. January 28, 2010 – 12:11 pmReplyCancel

• Cecilia - Good luck gem ๐Ÿ™‚ January 28, 2010 – 12:35 pmReplyCancel

• -Angela - Love them all but adore the shot of her nervously looking at you. Crazy how fast our babies are growing up. What an exciting day for your family. January 28, 2010 – 12:57 pmReplyCancel

• julia - I may need to move to Australia so my kids can wear those outfits. January 28, 2010 – 1:04 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - the hat. the hat is KILLING ME DEAD. I like the girl in the middle… her parents clearly have the same clothes-buying philosophy that we do, given how much bigger her uniform is than Gem's or the other girl's. ;^) January 28, 2010 – 1:08 pmReplyCancel

• MelodyA. - I don't think I've ever commented but had to today- what a doll! And what a great milestone to celebrate. Goodness, I just can't get over the cuteness. January 28, 2010 – 1:15 pmReplyCancel

• Jon - Their uniforms are adorable. Hope she had a great first day. January 28, 2010 – 1:24 pmReplyCancel

• candice - oh my! those uniforms! those HATS! how cute! January 28, 2010 – 1:36 pmReplyCancel

• victoria67 - oh my goodness, that could not be any cuter!!!
    what a big backpack for a kindergartener!
    good luck, gemma!!! January 28, 2010 – 1:39 pmReplyCancel

• Maddie - Bless her ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    January 28, 2010 – 1:49 pmReplyCancel

• Ingrid - The real world is fashionably adorable. I hope her first day was a wonderful indication of great things to come. January 28, 2010 – 2:09 pmReplyCancel

• Cristina - i love the hat! so australian! (at least in my perception of what australia….)

good luck and enjoy the school, gemma. January 28, 2010 – 2:13 pmReplyCancel

• Monica - Ohmy! Already?! She looks so grown-up in her uniform and her backpack is as big as she is! yay, Gemma! I hope it was a great first day:) January 28, 2010 – 2:18 pmReplyCancel

• Stacey - She's beautiful-and I adore the uniform, including the hat! January 28, 2010 – 2:30 pmReplyCancel

• Jane - love the outfit and she's super cute. January 28, 2010 – 2:54 pmReplyCancel

• Tanya - Adorable post. You must be really emotional right now. Amazing how they look exactly the same, including shoes and backpacks. January 28, 2010 – 3:31 pmReplyCancel

• Bailey - Oh my goodness, I am so glad she has to wear the hat, she looks absolutely darling in it! January 28, 2010 – 4:22 pmReplyCancel

• Kelly - What is Alec carrying? school supplies? Congrats big girl! January 28, 2010 – 4:29 pmReplyCancel

• corina - love her uniform… she just look great!!!! January 28, 2010 – 4:41 pmReplyCancel

• sheila L. - yay gemma! i adore those uniforms, from the hat to the shoes. so cute. January 28, 2010 – 4:43 pmReplyCancel

• Rachel - Crazy how grown up she's getting.
    All the kids in their school uniforms? Killing me!!!! They are adorable. Reminds me of Madeline. January 28, 2010 – 5:29 pmReplyCancel

• melissa - the hat? oh my gosh, the hat!!! i didn't think she could get any more adorable; i didn't know about the hat….
    happy School Days to you and your girl. January 28, 2010 – 5:59 pmReplyCancel

• MonikaPoland94 - Sweet! ๐Ÿ™‚ January 28, 2010 – 6:14 pmReplyCancel

• Mara - she's starting school already? her in Argentina we still have one more month before that…and my nieces will be starting kindergarden. time does flies!
    Gemma looks so grown up already and that uniform is too cute for words! January 28, 2010 – 6:38 pmReplyCancel

• Adalu - wow! I just think that's a huge backpack ๐Ÿ˜€ January 28, 2010 – 7:21 pmReplyCancel

• Bailey - Oh my goodness, she is so adorable in that hat! I'm moving to Melbourne from LA in 2013! See you there! January 28, 2010 – 7:26 pmReplyCancel

• Rebecca - how cute is that uniform!!! I love the hat. and Gemma. January 28, 2010 – 7:27 pmReplyCancel

• Kelsey - Oh my gosh, they even all have the same backpack! THAT is school! I hope she had a wonderful day! January 28, 2010 – 7:31 pmReplyCancel

• Katy - That uniform is just amazing. Another reason why I want to live in Oz. January 28, 2010 – 8:03 pmReplyCancel

• Kim - i love that you captured her bitting her nail… that first day is so scary!!!!
    i captured one of calvin with the same hesitation about the whole school thing:
    i miss my sesamesays class ๐Ÿ™‚ January 28, 2010 – 8:14 pmReplyCancel

• sesameellis - oh his face! i love that you caught the school bus coming down the road. January 28, 2010 – 10:47 pmReplyCancel

• michaela - wow. how did that happen? January 28, 2010 – 8:25 pmReplyCancel

• Nikki Law - Wow. Hope she had a fantastic day!
    By the way, the interview with Dockmaster on Beyond Snapshots was really helpful – i was wondering if maybe you could do i blog with your 3/5 favourite photos? January 28, 2010 – 8:36 pmReplyCancel

• sesameellis - hey, that is a good idea. i will think about doing that! January 28, 2010 – 10:39 pmReplyCancel

• Jules - I don't think she could be any cuter!! January 28, 2010 – 10:40 pmReplyCancel

• dale taylor - These pics are gorgeous! She looks so grown up in her school uniform. Hope she had a wonderful day. January 28, 2010 – 11:45 pmReplyCancel

• shannon - could her uniform be an cuter?!?! January 28, 2010 – 7:09 pmReplyCancel

• megan - Dont worry Gemma i know your smart and beautiful…and the only person i know that can make that hat look good (lol)….so i know you will do great! and Rachel….oh how they grow up so quickly… good luck and thank you for your beautiful pictures!…..but just remember your gonna miss these days… January 29, 2010 – 12:46 amReplyCancel

• Asmara - Love the dress! All the best Gemma.. January 29, 2010 – 12:52 amReplyCancel

• Aimee - Gosh, I can't believe she's so big! Make me realize I've been following your Flickr stream for a long while now. I think I've said that before… ah well.

I love the uniform. I wish we wore uniforms in school when I was younger. Takes the stress out of picking the "right" outfit and wondering if you'll fit in. January 28, 2010 – 10:46 pmReplyCancel

• Karen Hayne - is that Alec carrying her lunchbox (large box!) behind ๐Ÿ™‚ January 29, 2010 – 11:24 amReplyCancel

• sesameellis - all the school supplies that we had to order and then take with us. January 29, 2010 – 10:45 pmReplyCancel

• Anastasija - omg! is this the most adorable uniform ever! if i had a uniform like that, i'd have never skipped school! i am glad gemma got on great on her first day! my best wishes for the rest of the days! January 29, 2010 – 6:27 amReplyCancel

• Harika75 - Love! Congrats Gemma ๐Ÿ™‚ You know, I still have my uniforms from school in Oz. Loved my winter ones tho… got a kick out of wearing those thick pinafores with a skivvy ๐Ÿ™‚ January 29, 2010 – 7:15 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah - Shoshanna would like to add, about the hat, "Yuck. 'Cause it's all white."

(Anything that is a solid color is BORING which is the WORST THING EVER in our world right now.) January 30, 2010 – 12:59 pmReplyCancel

• Pauline - YAY! Hope everything went well! She looks cute in hr uniform ๐Ÿ™‚ January 30, 2010 – 2:56 pmReplyCancel

• laura - I can't even handle the cuteness! January 30, 2010 – 8:03 pmReplyCancel

• Karen Chatters - That has to be the cutest school uniform I have EVER seen!! January 30, 2010 – 8:16 pmReplyCancel

• .venny. - but i like the hat ^^ January 31, 2010 – 9:40 pmReplyCancel

• happyangei - These are adorable! I cannot believe a school would require hats. That is so neat! February 1, 2010 – 3:15 amReplyCancel

• Michele Raphael - So proper! What a wonderful adventure she is on, right out of a storybook from another time. Congratulations, Gemma, and lots of love from California. February 3, 2010 – 3:26 amReplyCancel

• Jaina - Oh gosh, she is so adorable! Love the uniform, that is fabulous! February 8, 2010 – 10:36 pmReplyCancel

• DawnK - Now she looks so little here. Has she really grown that much, since last year!January 30, 2011 – 7:30 amReplyCancel