snow white and her prince charming take us for a walk around the block

the walk was on their terms.

if snow white did not want to take a photo, she dropped into tantrum position.

see below:

it is her new tactic to act like a helpless beetle on the ground if we even think about taking her photo when she has other things to do.
you can see what we are up against in this shot that peta got from one of clover’s “moments.”  i enjoy sharing what life is really like…you know, real life, because it sure can look easy when photographers post their beautiful shots and mention nothing about the behind the scenes.  i think a lot of beginners and parents with cameras get discouraged because they think we have perfect models.  we don’t.  we have real lives too.  i am not at all afraid to share that stuff with you.  it isn’t always easy, but i try to ensure that it is always fun.

my advice is to remember to be ready because the moment can turn and you end up with this:

• DawnK - Clover sure has a mind of her own and is not afraid to let you know. She's been like that since birth, hasn't she? She's still so darned cute, though. I love both of their sweaters and love love love the hug at the end! Just wait until she's 18 and doesn't want you singing in the car, to a song on the radio. (yeah, that's my world!) Kieran is cute in his curls, too. April 30, 2010 – 3:50 amReplyCancel

• Alec - I wonder where she got the "helpless beetle" mover from ?????? April 30, 2010 – 4:00 amReplyCancel

• Charli - That last shot is so amazing. And I totally agree with the "non-perfect models" thing. Everyone seems to think that my kid is just the most perfect little model. I suppose they just don't understand the sheer volume of photographs I take in order to capture those special moments.
    I hope people get inspired, not discouraged by beautiful photographs of yours (and other amazing photographers out there). I know I do. April 30, 2010 – 4:00 amReplyCancel

• sesameellis - i know, our son is the guru of that move. April 30, 2010 – 4:05 amReplyCancel

• Katrina - These are absolutely adorable. Even when the moment’s not perfect, your pictures always capture that something special. I really enjoy reading both yours and Peta’s blogs. I love looking at the photos and how, even though you both went on the same adventure, you got completely different shots. I think it’s so cool how much personality can show through a photograph. Not only the ‘model’s’, but the photographer’s as well. Thank you so much for sharing your work, you are my role model.April 29, 2010 – 11:22 pmReplyCancel

• lena - LOVE! April 30, 2010 – 5:48 amReplyCancel

• shaunie - ahhh that last one. so beautiful! April 30, 2010 – 6:23 amReplyCancel

• Valentina - Beautiful photos and beautiful moments between the twins..
    Clover has the dress, sha had worn Gemma. so Sweet.

April 30, 2010 – 6:32 amReplyCancel

• Tweets that mention snow white and her prince charming take us for a walk around the block | sesame ellis . daily life photo blogging by rachel devine -- Topsy.com - […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rachel Devine, Photo Addicts. Photo Addicts said: #photography snow white and her prince charming take us for a walk around the block http://ow.ly/17dLfS […]April 30, 2010 – 1:37 amReplyCancel

• heleen - Oh I especially love the behind-the-scenes-shot and yes, I totally agree, people write to me all the time what cooperation models I have but NO my children are children just like yours 😉 Love the shots. And something that I have learned along the way is always be ready. Thats half the work. 🙂 Love these photos Rachel April 30, 2010 – 7:11 amReplyCancel

• Marsha - Thank you thank you thank you Rachel for showing us even the pros get shots that are throwaways (sometimes). It is so refreshing for a professional to show images that they get that aren't technically perfect! Your children are just adorable and I just love their precious outfits! And I agree with the comments, that last photo is perfect! April 30, 2010 – 7:18 amReplyCancel

• Danielle - Is that a heart shaped bush behind them!??! I mean – come on – ack!!! I'm dying from the cuteness over here!!! And I love that you show the behind the scenes as well. Because as photogs we know that our kids are actually the WORST! 😉 At least I hope it's not just my kids! April 30, 2010 – 4:04 amReplyCancel

• jeniusphotography - So cute!!! My daughter's current "not gonna take my picture" move is to cover her face with her hands and move around really fast. But, it's making my "trigger finger" faster. April 30, 2010 – 9:19 amReplyCancel

• mjna - oh that is precious
    I can't agree more about the 'real life' shots.
    I have scrapbooked some photos when my daughter was 2, she hopped on one of those car rides in the mall, and it started saying that it will take photos!
    Well she flipped it, and we have a great polaroid from that machine of four sequences of her throwing a hissy fit.
    It's funny now.

Beautiful shots as always
    x April 30, 2010 – 10:01 amReplyCancel

• san - oooh love them all!! please please rachel can you tell me what did you do in the 4rt picture? (kieran) i mean lenses, f.N, apperture..
    please please i love this picture!!!
    thnsk so so so so much!

sANDRA April 30, 2010 – 12:28 pmReplyCancel

• sesameellis - these were all with my 50mm f/1.4 lens. i will have to check what the settings were, but they were all processed from RAW. April 30, 2010 – 12:50 pmReplyCancel

• Asmara - Like the 'real-tantrum' moment you have there and the last 'LOVE' photo is superb with love-shape-tree as background. Love it! April 30, 2010 – 1:55 pmReplyCancel

• Kerri - it doesn't get much cuter than that 🙂 April 30, 2010 – 2:15 pmReplyCancel

• Nicole - Incredible! And where oh where did you get those adorable sweaters?? April 30, 2010 – 2:27 pmReplyCancel

• Nikki Law - I think it's impossible for me to love these photos any more than i already do.
    The personality you catch never fails to blow me away – and i love that you aren't afraid to show behind the scenes shots.
    Would really love to see a blog of your favourite photos you've taken either in the last year or a selection from all your photos.
    N
    x
    April 30, 2010 – 3:24 pmReplyCancel

• littleelle - oh my god… their little matching sweaters. such precious little babes! April 30, 2010 – 4:15 pmReplyCancel

• Harika75 - This is beyond adorable 🙂 Clover's eyes are spectacular and I love Keiren's peekaboo face from between the pins 🙂 April 30, 2010 – 6:26 pmReplyCancel

• Jill - oh~ the last photo is so sweet. Love the behind the scenes shots! Clover, Clover… she is something else. April 30, 2010 – 8:28 pmReplyCancel

• san - thanks for this! i was impressed with the deph of field in this one. i love shooting with large aperture for this reason!
    thanks again!!
    Sandra April 30, 2010 – 9:18 pmReplyCancel

• victoria67 - what a girl, clover is!!! she reminds me of a little drama queen niece.
    love the hug shot-what a sweet moment to capture!
    super cute hooties, by the way!April 30, 2010 – 6:10 pmReplyCancel

• Fashion Jewelry » Blog Archive » Fashion Jewelry | Clearly Charming Beach and Umbrella Italian Charm Bracelet Link - […] snow white and her prince charming take us for a walk around the … […]April 30, 2010 – 10:29 pmReplyCancel

• victoria67 - what a girl, clove is; she reminds me of my little drama queen niece 🙂
    love the hug shot-what a precious moment to capture!
    super cute hoodies, by the way! April 30, 2010 – 11:11 pmReplyCancel

• lagal[og] – Philippines Travel & Photography Blog: Pambansang T … | Philippines Traveling - […] snow white and her prince charming take us for a walk around the … […]May 1, 2010 – 6:40 amReplyCancel

• melissa deakin - thanks for sharing these 'behind the scene' images.
    love them.
    your children are so gorgeous.
    i can see that Peta has a light meter in the above image…have been thinking of getting one for a while now…is there a certain one you recommend.
    thanks so much for all your inspiration! May 1, 2010 – 7:01 pmReplyCancel

• sesameellis - No, that is me with my light meter…peta took that shot. I love my
    light meter. May 1, 2010 – 9:35 pmReplyCancel

• Sarah Kane - Oh Lord, Rachel, that last photo….what a shot. xMay 1, 2010 – 10:37 pmReplyCancel

• Melys - Love their hugh ! They’re so cute, as usual !May 2, 2010 – 4:30 amReplyCancel

• Misty - How precious! Love the real life moment Peta captured with you in the mix. Love their sweaters! May 2, 2010 – 1:08 pmReplyCancel

• kasandra - of all things is it strange to ask about your mary janes?
    i remember a long time ago you mentioning a pair of mary janes you were in love with … i’m on the hunt for the perfect pair of comfortable shoesMay 4, 2010 – 1:31 pmReplyCancel

• sesame - I love my Mary Jane’s from Ecco. In fact I want another pair.May 5, 2010 – 7:11 pmReplyCancel

• kasandra - thanks so much! just what i was looking for 🙂May 6, 2010 – 8:10 amReplyCancel

• Lacey Fetters - Aww they are so cute 🙂