lensbaby is the perfect way to capture my first impressions of venice

Flying into Venice, my first thoughts upon seeing the city out the window were, “This place can’t be real.” It looked just like a toy model of some fantasy movie set. I could not stop staring. The only thing that broke my gaze was the Swiss flight attendant offering me a chocolate. Seriously, they give out chocolate bars on Swiss Air, that is enough right there to never fly any other airline.

We walked the short path from the airport to the dock of the water taxis and soon were boating off to our destination like a (only just) slightly less glamorous Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie from The Tourist. (Hush it, I felt glamorous and the water really is that cool green color.)

I knew the only way I could really convey the sense of awe and mysticism that I was consumed by on our first day in Venice was to capture it all with my Lensbaby composer. This is not a sponsored post, I really just could not think of a more appropriate way to share how I was feeling. The place felt like a dream city. In fact, sitting here at my computer in Melbourne, I am not completely convinced that it wasn’t a dream after all. I did eventually change lenses, but for this post, I am only going to show the images that I took that first day. I will show others in the coming days.

I hope I have done the city justice.

I don’t think I put my Lensbaby back on the D3 for the rest of the trip, but it was exactly what I needed for that dreamy first day.

My entire trip was shot in jpeg. I used Vibrant setting on the picture controls sometimes (other times, just my normal settings that I have fiddled with to get the way I like the photos to look) and for the most part (except for the combination of images and desperately required dust removal) these are straight out of the camera shots.

• Miz booshay - Spectacular images Rachel. You are the best!June 19, 2011 – 9:16 pmReplyCancel

• angela - i am a big lensbaby user.
    you did it justice.
    i find the more special a place, the more i *need* to use a lensababy. i thought i was weird…wait…maybe you are weird as well;)??
    love these shots.June 19, 2011 – 9:17 pmReplyCancel

• michele - so beautiful. thk u for sharing your stunning perspective!June 19, 2011 – 9:45 pmReplyCancel

• karen linnell - literally, these took my breath away. thank you so much for the inspiration.June 19, 2011 – 10:03 pmReplyCancel

• monica - These are absolutly stunningJune 20, 2011 – 12:39 amReplyCancel

• Hanna - The people look like tiny figures. Such delicacy and beauty captured!June 20, 2011 – 1:09 amReplyCancel

• Astrid - These are all gorgeous. What a beautiful way to capture a city.June 20, 2011 – 1:51 amReplyCancel

• Valentina - amazing photos!!! i love the Lensbaby composer =)
    I too went here, 4 years ago!
    Venice is so beautiful!!! i hope you came back here in italy, one day =)
    i’ll wait for you! 😉June 20, 2011 – 2:17 amReplyCancel

• AngieS - Venice is without doubt my favourite city and your images absolutely do it justice! They are stunning! I have just returned from a holiday where I brought several cameras and lenses, including my Lensbaby Composer, but I didn’t even get it out of my bag…and you can bet I am kicking myself now! I am definitely taking my Lensbaby on my next holiday, I just hope it is to Venice!!June 20, 2011 – 4:32 amReplyCancel

• Lea - Wow. That really is dreamy. I’m so jealous. Both that you got to go and now I also feel I need a Lensbaby Composer. 🙂June 20, 2011 – 5:41 amReplyCancel

• Egle - Absolutely stunning! Lensbaby and Venice is a perfect match 🙂June 20, 2011 – 7:10 amReplyCancel

• angelica - these are gorgeous. i know the place well and you still managed to surprise me. didn’t know the lensbaby, thanks for mentioning it!June 20, 2011 – 8:11 amReplyCancel

• marybeth - Great photos. And I just HAVE to say… looking at that photo of Alec in the sunglasses at the top of the post is like looking at a 4o year old, masculine version of Gemma. She really couldn’t look more like him. (But I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know.) 🙂June 21, 2011 – 2:26 pmReplyCancel

• russmorris - Nice memories you’re working on, there. Have a little gelato for me.

I, too, have a thing for the Composer. It gets worse. Now I’ve gone and added the Sweet 35 to the mix.

Can I tell ya? The thing absolutely rocks. What a combo. Seriously!

Have fun!June 21, 2011 – 10:58 pmReplyCancel

• Wendy - I love the photos – they give such a different perspective to a city that has been photographed so many times. Vencie has to be one of my favourite places in the world.June 23, 2011 – 6:52 amReplyCancel

• Carrie - LOVE IT!June 23, 2011 – 9:46 pmReplyCancel

• Se7en’s Fabulous Friday Fun #75 » se7en - […] if you are looking for the best virtual visit and a mini-holiday in Venice then take a look at Sesame Ellis… Part 1 and as if Part 1 wasn’t enough then take a look at Part 2 as well!!! Just do it, you know you […]June 26, 2011 – 6:29 pmReplyCancel

• ally - they are simply amazing done that way – wow!!June 30, 2011 – 10:50 pmReplyCancel

• Audrey - Oh I am new to your blog, and Lensbaby, I just got a Muse Double glass.
    These photos are so fab. I am loving all your blog posts too, you were introduced to me by a good friend.

I’m taking my Lensbaby with me tomorrow to shoot a wedding. I’m hoping my shots turn out as dreamy as yours!!July 8, 2011 – 12:47 amReplyCancel

• sesame - Thanks Audrey, let me know how those lensbaby shots from the wedding came out!July 12, 2011 – 11:38 pmReplyCancel